Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Stop the insanity!!

Today has been one of those days. In dealing with anxiety, there are some days I feel like I am plugging along real well. I feel like a good Mom, I feel like a good wife, my housework is caught up, I have energy, my laundry is caught up....even if it's not all the way I'd like it to be, I seem to handle the little kinks in my schedule well. Today is not one of those days. I feel like I've been working all day and have not accomplished a thing! I also have been battling anxious and negative thoughts the last couple days. I was never really much of a drama queen in my teen age years, but I make up for it in my mind now that I'm in my 30's. Lately it's been "What if my van goes into a body of water and starts to fill up. What then? How will I get out? Forget about me, how will I get my kids out? We'll all drown." Did I happen to mention I don't even live near a body of water??
I also had a thought today about getting my hand caught in the garbage disposal. Who will I call first? How will I take care of my mangled fingers until someone shows up? Will I call 911 or just call my husband to come take me to a hospital? The book of Proverbs says an anxious heart weighs a man down. You ain't a kiddin'!

However the Psalmist says this: Psalm 139:23
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.

Dear Lord,
Search my heart. Know my anxious thoughts. Help me Lord to replace these thoughts with Words from You. Your works are mighty. Your love is unfailing. And your law is true and powerful.

Psalm 77:12
I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.

Psalm 48:9
Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love.

Joshua 1:8
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. (One of my favorite verses)

Finally, I remember the words of Paul to the Philippians. (These are actually in my bathroom. I must have forgotten to look at them this morning through blurry eyes and before my first cup of fuel).

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Lord, help me to change my way of thinking. Only through you will I move past this time. I love you Lord. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment